Forum / Forums / Eric Peters Autos Forum / Quality Winter Gear & Equipment

Tagged: 

• Author

Do you have any favorite Winter gear or equipment recommendations? What’s worked best for you? Or, what’s worked worse, to avoid?

Doug and Stacy share some ideas on this Live Show during the Arctic Blast of Jan 2024:

January 16, 2024 at 4:59 pm #461

For a limited time Wiggy’s is offering their Antarctic Parkas. These things rock! The pockets are deep, one set of pockets has good snow flaps, hood is warm & big, it kept me warm at -18 degrees with -41 degree windchill.

Their Sunwalker2 pac boot inserts are great, too. Quite a bit warmer than the felt, or Thinsulate, or fleece inserts you’ll find in most Winter pac boots.

While their Super Mitten is not bad at all, the Kodiak & Renegades do not live up to the claims, imho.

…Their sleeping bags are out of this world warm. Best sleeping bag I ever used. And, for a fair sized chunk of change they’ll vacuum pack that sucker into a brick the size & shape of a baseball base to store in your vehicle. Pricey though, but maybe worth it.

…Now if I could just find a warmest pair of good gloves. I’ve come to the conclusion there’s no such thing.

Best I’ve found so far is a leather deerskin work glove with white Thinsulate insulation made by North American Trading, Strum Wisconsin. Found mine at a farm supply type store, Theisen’s. You can still grab a wrench or operate a power tool with them, but once it gets close to Zero degrees fingers start to freeze.

Do you have a glove recommendation?

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by helot.
    January 16, 2024 at 11:31 pm #463

One last plug for the Wiggy’s Lamilite, man do I love this insulation material. If you’re fortunate enough to live where the Winters don’t go to -18 degrees (and even if) you might like the Ducksback Sweater. It’s a great underlayment underneath an expensive, or cheap, 650 fill down jacket and the like,… and, if you’re say, a runner, and like to go out for runs when it’s around 20 degrees, this might be, The Ticket. …Or, when cutting firewood.

You know when you’re out on a cold day, working up a sweat, and then you stop… you’re wet, soaked even, from your sweat, and then you get chilled. My experience has been, this. does. not. happen. with the Lamilite. It’s like wool, times 10.

The website says when the roll of material is gone, they’re done making them. So, time is of the essence. Maybe they’ll make something later, who knows? …It’s just, good stuff. And, I can’t say enough good things about it. Beats the crap out of Gortex, that’s for sure.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.